A personal development plan is a process of defining what matters to you, inwardly searching for those qualities and strengths you already possess, and identifying the areas you need to improve upon, to help you achieve your dreams and aspirations.
Welcome to 2019, a brand New Year, another 365 days of opportunities to rewrite our stories and make impact. Success does not just happen, but takes planning, hard work and consistency.
“He who fails to plan, plans to fail”
On the first edition of Naijablazers success series, we’ll share with you 8 PDP [PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN] guides you should have on your priority list to make the New Year fruitful as a garden of olive trees.
1.BUILDING SPIRITUAL RELATIONSHIPS: It can never be overstated how much we all need to connect with the divinity within us. Whether it is the religious kind that we are familiar with, or it is our searching deep within us to connect, in the words of Echart Tolle, with our sense of self, we all need to begin to draw from a deeper well of inspiration and love. Connect more with God and watch how much energy you would have.
2. READ! READ! READ! : This is one of the few personal development plans that you don’t have to postpone till the next day, or the next week or next month, start now! Reading inspirational and motivational books would help you, not only re-calibrate your mind on the things you can do, but also helps with the knowledge that could be useful in starting a business or gaining employment. You never know what rare gem is waiting to be discovered inside the leafy pages of a book. Books from authors such as; John Maxwell, Simon Sinek, John Obidi, Brian Tracy, would help you shape your new year into a beautiful one.
3.PROFESSIONAL AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT: You are never going to move to where you want to be with the present level of knowledge you have. You have to improve your mind. One of the career goals I personally set for myself this year is to get online degrees and attend seminars – paid and free – and make sure I push the boundaries of what I think is possible. The New Year would demand more knowledge and more expertise to get jobs done; you have to be prepared for them. You don’t have to go too far, you can make use of online courses and webinars to improve yourself. If you can afford it, avail yourself the opportunities to attend seminars that are designed to train you on the latest skill or knowledge in your career. Don’t wait for the right time, just do it!
4. MENTORS AND COACHES: Mentors are like bridges, they help us connect to where we are going faster, helping us avoid the seas and the traffic. They are conduits to bigger things that we aspire for. Finding a mentor, either in your career field or special industry is of utmost importance. They would help push us beyond what we thought was possible, opening our eyes to realities we would ordinarily not see. They are a must-have if you want to make it count this year in your career or life. Get one!
5. DEVELOP RELEVANT ADDITIONAL SKILLS TO EARN MONEY WITH: The economy of the world and that of the nation is not going to automatically change overnight. If positive changes would happen, it would take time and effort. And while that is happening in the background, it is pertinent you develop skills that can help you make extra cash, by the side of course. You don’t want to put all your eggs in one basket! Developing additional skills that can earn you money would go a long way in helping you achieve more in way of dreams and other necessities.
How can you think great thoughts when the basics haven’t been sorted out?
Your financial freedom depends on what you know and how well you apply yourself.
There are many “side hustle” that you can engage in while you chase that big dream this year. There are many financial help books and people you can talk to help your earning power move notches higher.
Don’t settle for what has always been. You have within you the ability to do extraordinary things. Make it count. Learn that skill. Don’t wait till the end of the month, learn it now!
Your financial freedom is not a matter to be treated with kid gloves. Take that first step and see how easy it is to be financially free. Take that class! Read that book! Start that business anyhow! Just don’t wait on the world to come falling on your laps before you make that decision. Make it now!
6. VISIT NEW PLACES, EVENTS AND CITIES FOR RELAXATION: One of the best ways to recharge your mind and body is to relax. And what better way to relax, than a break from the things you are used to?
Make plans to give yourself a treat away from home and work. Visit places that you haven’t before. Visit tourist centers in other countries, you’ve never been before, if you can afford it. Relax; let the beauty of life be made aware to you.
You should not be too busy to relax. Take a break from all the noise and listen. There is power in detaching yourself from the many noises around you to go somewhere and listen. Be aware.
Don’t think to relax is a waste of time. It is not. It’s how you gain more time and recalibrate your heart-set, mindset, and soul-set.
7. BUILD A LARGER NETWORK: We all need each other to move forward. No matter how smart we are, or how connected we think we are, the kind of relationships we keep and friends we have goes a long way in helping us move forward, faster. Be open to new friendships. Build relationships with people outside your circle. Do not be full of yourself. Make friends and build those relationships on the foundation of love and trust.
Mrs. Awosika, the Chairman of First Bank, said “The greatest asset we have in moving forward is people. Treat them right and you would see how far they can take you. Nobody is a nobody”.
Learn to expand your circle of friends – value adding friends.
8. CUT OFF THE EXCESS BAGGAGE: It’s a new year and your life and those you allow into your space should be intentional. You need to sincerely take out those people within your circle of friends, or acquaintances who do not add value to your life, but rather constantly draining your energy.
Surround yourself with positive minded and optimistic friends. People who see opportunity in every challenge, NOT those who see problems in every solution.
Pessimistic people are dreams killers, and they carry around them aura of negativity and discouragement. Allowing them in your life in the New Year will drastically reduce your level of focus and commitment to your set goals.
Personal development is a journey, not a destination.
“Dream big, develop yourself, unleash your potential, play well with others, play to your strengths, enjoy the process, share your unique gifts with the world, and grow your greatness by testing yourself, expanding yourself, learning and improving”.