Anger management is one of the most difficult emotions to tame except you are determined.
Anger is a very strong emotion that builds up from feelings of distress, hurt, infuriation or frustration. You may not have absolute control over the people or things that trigger the anger, but you can learn to control your reactions.
When the renowned neurosurgeon Dr. Ben Carson almost stabbed his best friend as a child, reality hit him quickly. He didn’t know he was about killing his own friend until it was a miss. A story he keeps retelling of how God saved him.
He’s was a lucky case but there are many who have not been so lucky in the end, they regretted their actions.
Some strategies to adhere to when struggling with anger issues:
1. Think before you speak: Most times when we’re tensed, the urge to let it out is high. We feel like venting it all out. We’re thirsty for vengeance. A little silence to think can help us address it in a more mature way that’ll leave everyone unharmed.
2. Give yourself some space: In a heated situation where none wants to back down, the best way to control that rage in you is to simply walk away for some time. Go to a place where you feel more connected to nature. A riverside perhaps or a library, such places help you forget.
3. Exercise: Exercises are natural relievers of pain and emotional stress. Doing yoga helps you meditate.
4. Controlled breathing : controlled breathing does a great deal in anger management. You get to feel less tensed when you draw in a long breath and release.
5. Music : music may appear like an everyday activity to some but it serves well beyond that. In fact, it is an art that works like magic on moods. Listen to your best genre of music but in such situations, calm music is preferable.
There are so many ways to become that better person you’ve always wanted to be, all you need to do is apply the right methods. Not everything mentioned works for everyone. What will work for you may not work for another. That is why it is very important to know yourself. When you know yourself, you know what works for you.
You could start today, that anger issue you’re battling with is not too strong to be tamed. Apply the above mentioned and redeem yourself from all the aftermath self hate you feel when you succumb to anger. There is no harm in trying something new.
Everyday is an opportunity to start something new, today is one.